2 June 2021

A new One Oh One






Picture this: It’s 2017, I’m a few months away from graduating with my undergraduate degree in psychology, and naturally (/obviously!), I’m having an existential crisis. What happens next? The question on my mind, and what Clare Dykchoff had found a question on many graduates’ minds in her 2013 Independent article, ‘Graduate blues: Why we need to talk about post-university depression’. I had read Clare’s article one morning when walking to my 9am lecture, on a quest to figure out if other people were dreading leaving university just as much as I was. I had done as much as I could to reduce the uncertainty I faced. I lined up a publishing internship, a part-time job at a coffee shop, and decided to move back home to save some money. But I still could not shake that sense of dread, because I felt a weight of expectations above me, from myself, and the wider society. Despite the fact I hadn’t yet tentatively thrown my cap in the air (because if you lose the rented cap, you’re buggered), I was definitely feeling the blues and I worried it was only going to get worse. Clare’s article had really lit a spark in me, and so when it came to choosing my topic for my MRes degree, I decided to explore the transition out of university, with it being such an under-researched area in academia at the time. 

I really loved conducting that research. I loved speaking to graduates about their experiences of leaving education behind and taking a jump into a world outside of the bubble we had come to know and take comfort from. More than anything, I loved how it made me feel less alone. Though I worked hard to not inject my own personal experiences into my research (cos BPS guidelines), I couldn’t help but feel some reassurance when a participant would disclose feeling a way I had felt, or had the same worries, or faced the same challenges as I had.  I wanted to take my research further, and I wanted other graduates to feel that same sense of, ‘okay, I’m not alone in this…’ and so in 2019, once I had finalised my thesis, One Oh One was born. 

When I first graduated in 2017, the world was a totally different place… And again, when I started One Oh One in 2019, we look back to that time now, in the middle of the ongoing pandemic, and see a world that is so unrecognisable to the one we live in currently. And all of this change has made me hesitant to put the spotlight on this project I set up and I took a little back step. Because there has been so much change since I first graduated, and even more so since 2019. I worried that I would not be able to offer the support that some recent graduates may need, because I couldn’t begin to understand the difficulties that 2020/21 graduates are facing as a result of the pandemic, I couldn’t imagine how challenging it must be to graduate in these times, with so much more uncertainty looming than I ever had to face. Coupled with the fact I’ve just recently turned 25, I worried that I was no longer #relatable, but the fact is, I am still struggling, even so many years on from graduating, to find my place in the world (inclusive of the working world). And I know so many others are, too. 

And I miss writing, I miss connecting, I miss sharing your stories. So I will be picking up the metaphorical pen, and going ahead with a new One Oh One. This space will still be for graduates, and I will still continue to share my experiences and research, your stories, your work… But as a running theme, I want to move to a focus on your 20s in general. Regardless of whether you hold letters behind your name, your 20s are T O U G H.  One Oh One will become a space to acknowledge this. So, watch this space. 


Post a Comment