14 November 2020

Meet: Kate - History (BA) graduate

 


After recently publishing an article for Student Minds on the Power of Graduates Coming Together, I connected with Kate, History BA (Hons) graduate from the class of 2019 at The University of Newcastle. I chatted to Kate about her experience of graduating below. 

Kate also published a piece on Student Minds titled Embracing A Challenge: How to Enjoy The Unknown. Kate discusses how to embrace the challenges that university throws at you - and a lot of her advice can be tailored to life outside of university, with one of her tips being 'Say No to Self-sabotage'. I definitely recommend you give it a read! 
________________________________________

1) How were you preparing to graduate – did you have a plan for your next steps?


My final year at Newcastle University was my favourite by far. It was full of constant essay writing (and research for my looming dissertation deadline!), weekly volunteering on Newcastle Student Radio and socializing with friends. Although it was all great fun, in hindsight, I always had the idea of travelling as my next step, which helped me get through those 9am lectures and 5,000 word essay deadlines!

I always felt like I was on a treadmill from sixth form to graduation, so going travelling was the release I wanted from education. After consistently saving money every month I booked a flight to Vietnam during a dissertation crisis in the library - as you do! I think this gave me a bit of willpower to push through my two final semesters and make the most of the limited time I had left as a student. 


2) What was your experience like searching for jobs once you had your degree?


Once I got home from Vietnam, I began my job search. It was a little stressful! I still had the travel bug, yet I was conscious that I needed to get the ball rolling on the job front. Whilst I volunteered at a local hospital radio station in my spare time, I was lucky enough to be offered a paid runners position at a television production company for a month or so before Christmas 2019. This was perfect as it allowed me to gain some valuable experience and put some money aside for my trip to Australia in January 2020. 


However, when I returned from Down Under, Covid19 really threw a spanner into the works – something that we are all still living through!  Few industries are recruiting at the moment and the job search, for not just graduates, has temporarily halted. Covid has put my voluntary position at a local radio station on hold due to social distancing measures, so I am staying productive during the interim by working part time as a sales assistant and childminder. For the most part, I feel Covid19 has been a bit of a blessing and a curse. It has made me realise how I was most probably guilty of living a tad in the future and not so much in the present.


In an ideal world, I’d love to pursue a career in radio production or journalism. I feel, especially in broadcast media, your job is like a portfolio whereby you’re involved in lots of different projects often at the same time. I think this can be attributed to when you enter this industry and apply for a job too – there's often no direct route, which can be incredibly disheartening. 


3) Did you have any worries about graduating – if so, what were they?


I wasn’t so worried about graduating, but more so, rather excited that I had accomplished such a personal goal of mine to read History at university. The fact that both ‘the end’ was in close sight and that I would never be able to replicate my university years was an extremely weird prospect for me. The idea of ‘adulting’ and finding ‘the job’ made me slightly terrified upon graduating – it still does, argh! 


4) What has been the most exciting part of leaving university and education behind?


At times I’m guilty of getting wrapped up in the rat race of searching for a job, the concept of making the most of my twenties and finding out who I am as a person, but the idea that ‘the world is your oyster’ (cliché, I know!) is so exciting to me. Albeit part time, the fact I’m earning every month is empowering. I can save money during this lull and make arrangements for big financial commitments in the future.


5) What has been the least exciting/challenging part of being outside of education? 


I think the least exciting part of being outside of education is that....really, life isn’t any different. I was naively expecting a crescendo moment, but essentially, I still feel like I’m the same person. I don’t think I’ve changed in my motivation to achieve certain personal goals, but life away from what was my old life (sob!) can annoyingly be a little mundane and routine driven. 


6) Is there anything about the ‘real world’ you didn’t expect/weren’t prepared for?


One word: Lockdown. I was nowhere near prepared for what was ahead of me when I returned from Australia – nobody was, for that matter! Life has now become so uncertain and the circumstances make it so difficult to plan ahead. The one thing I’ve learned working under these current circumstances is that no matter what you are doing and where you are working, learning to adapt to a new environment and taking every day as it comes is so important. Find the excitement in the unknown – at least that’s what I’m trying to tell myself!


7) Do you have any particular goals you want to reach in your life outside of education?


To have a purpose and feel wanted. In the broader context, as cringe as it sounds, I want to be happy and content within my future work environment. Everything has a domino effect on each other. 


8) Is there anything you wish you had been told about leaving university?


Truth be told: the transition is scary...and nobody tells you. It’s such a taboo subject. Your life doesn’t all click into place as soon as you drive back home after three years or so away ‘doing your own thing’. Learning ‘how to adult’ is tricky. I don’t think you ever really know what you’re doing, no matter what stage you are in life. Everybody is in the same boat, and more so now, the same storm! Be kind to yourself. 


9) Three words to describe your transition from university?


Daunting. Fun. Exciting.


10) Any tips for surviving outside the university bubble? 


Despite my limited time outside of the ‘bubble’ (coming up to a year and a half!), I would stress don’t be afraid to show people that you are eager to learn. One of my biggest qualms is that job descriptions for junior positions often include ‘experience necessary'. This can make you feel so frustrated, as a recent graduate like myself, doesn’t always have this requirement. Willingness to take up unpaid jobs could help you gain similar experience, which could prove valuable in the future. Remember, take every day at your own pace and listen to your gut instinct if something doesn’t feel right. You never know, something new could lead you onto the right path – and add another string to your bow!


Post a Comment