3 July 2020

Graduating in a pandemic - Meet: Erin - English (soon-to-be) graduate (BA)



I’m Erin. I’m twenty-two years old and am about to graduate with a BA in English from Queen Mary University of London. 

1) How have you been spending your time during lockdown?

At first, I was still working on my final essays and dissertation, so was spending around 30 hours a week just planning, writing and editing essays. However, around the time I finished my dissertation, I was offered a job at a local grocery store, so began working there for most of my week! Other than that, I’ve been making my way through years of Netflix recommendations and learning Spanish.

2) How are you feeling about graduating in the middle of this pandemic?
Pretty scared about the possible impact, to be honest. As I’m graduating with an English degree, there is no secure career waiting for me in the outside world. It scares me that certain sectors will most likely be unable to hire for a while, especially since I have been interested in a career in the arts sector or NGO sector for years now, and both have been very badly hit by the pandemic. But, I’m trying to see the positives! Mainly that everyone is in the same boat, and hopefully, once the pandemic finally draws to a close, there will be an influx of jobs in sectors that had to shut down throughout it.

3) Has the current situation impacted any next steps you had planned?
If so, how have you coped with that?
Massively. I had planned to travel to Mexico for an unpaid internship in June, just two weeks after my original dissertation deadline. As a part of the internship, I was going to be working as a journalist with an environmental charity. I had hopes that I could be looking to start my career as soon as I returned in September.

Again, I’ve just tried to look at the positive side. The company I was meant to be working with have been amazing, allowing me to postpone the trip to any later date. I have been able to save a lot more money than I would have been able to simply by working as normal up until June, which means I will be able to travel after the trip, something I wouldn’t have been able to afford otherwise. Additionally, by the time I finally make it there, I will hopefully be able to actually speak Spanish, rather than just order a burger.

4) How have you tried to manage the uncertainty I imagine this has left a lot of 2020 graduates with?

I think the only thing you can do is speak to fellow graduates and remind yourself you’re not alone. I have so many friends graduating from a whole variety of degrees who have been forced to change their plans for the near future. Many are planning to stay in part time roles that have no connection to their career plans, a few have been forced to defer or postpone masters courses, a few have completely lost job opportunities. I even have a couple non-British friends that have been forced to return to their home countries and have no idea when they’ll be able to safely return. Knowing that most of my friends are equally as uncertain about where they might be in six months is the main way I can comfort myself. Also, I’m just making the most of time off. I haven’t had this much spare time since I was nineteen years old, so I’m trying to adapt to not guilting myself for spending an entire day off watching Netflix and sewing!

5) Have you been given any specific guidance by your university?

Unfortunately, no. Although that seems to be the case for most of my friends attending different universities. I think students have been left in the lurch a little during this pandemic. My university was particularly unhelpful throughout the final semester, refused furlough to myself and 250+ of student staff, failed to release grades on time, etc. Since my last deadline, we’ve hardly been sent a thing, but at this stage I don’t expect anything less.

6) What plans do you have now?

After waiting for two months to see whether I might make it out to Mexico later this summer/year, I decided I didn’t want to continue with the uncertainty and began looking for graduate roles nearby my hometown. In September, I will now be starting work as an English teaching assistant in a Manchester secondary school. Whilst this isn’t something I ever had planned, I’m grateful I will get the opportunity to gain some experience in schools (as I have considered teaching in the past), and that I will be working solely within a subject that I love dearly. Hopefully, by the time the school year is complete in 2021, I will be able to head out to Mexico just a year later than planned! After that, I have no idea. But I figure that if there is anything that the last few months has taught me, its that plans can change and opportunities can arise within the space of weeks, so there is little use in getting bogged down about where I might be in twelve months’ time.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Post a Comment