23 July 2020

Meet: Jo - Photography (BA) and Psychology (MSc) graduate

Website: https://www.jcphoto.co.uk/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jochukualim_photo/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jo_Chukualim

I’m Jo. I’m 24 and I graduated in 2019 with an MSc in Psychology. Before that, I graduated in 2018 with a BA in Photography.


What has it been like for you, leaving behind university? 

It’s been interesting. I went on to study an MSc once I’d finished my BA degree and then there was this extra layer to my career to figure out. i.e. what does the integration of both my degrees look like in a job? So I ended up on a picture desk at a charity, photographing mental health projects.




Did you have a plan for your life after graduation?

I definitely had plans for my life after graduation. Like everyone else I wanted a stable job where I could be creative and use the skills I’d worked so hard to develop. The problem with university is that it doesn’t explicitly prepare you for life afterwards. I was lucky enough to go to one of the best photography programs in the UK, certainly the best in London at the time but knowing how to navigate the job market was not something that was taught. Even with the difficulties I’ve had, I feel like one of the lucky ones because I started this job navigation thing way before I started my degree. However, without connections, it was still tough.

Funnily enough, everyone talks about the importance of networking but doesn’t really tell you how to do it. Unless you’re super extroverted and feed off talking to many people at once, it’s probably going to take a bit of figuring out.




When did you begin taking photographs?

I started taking photos properly just before A-levels and this was at London College of Fashion on a short course. I didn’t love the course itself but it showed me what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.



To you, what makes a good photograph? 

Technically? Good use of light and shadows to create an image with depth. I also need to feel something. I mean it’s incredibly subjective because something that evokes an emotional response from me can mean absolutely nothing to someone else.

Someone pointed out that I tend to shoot people in a vulnerable and somewhat sensual way so I guess those are the kind of images I’m drawn to. If I had to dissect it (with my psychology brain :P), I’d say I was creating images with emotions I didn’t feel safe to explore in the past and felt the only way I could do so was through photography.



What do you enjoy most about the process? 

Connecting with different people. That’s what image-making does for me, it allows me to connect with people I might otherwise not have met or spoken to.



Do you have any particular goals you want to reach in your life outside of education?

A solo exhibition. This was actually set to happen last summer. I had a date, a venue and I’d started printing and planning but I underestimated the toll my masters would take both emotionally and financially. So this is something I’m still looking forward to.



Do you have any goals with your photography? 

At the moment, a solo exhibition is the only thing on my mind and trying to figure out the best way to make that happen. I haven’t created a new project since I left Uni but there’s a lot of work that I’ve done in the past but haven’t shown yet and, looking at them together, I can see that they are all connected.



What is one thing you wish you knew about the ‘real world’ whilst you were still at university? 

That my race and gender would make things harder for me. I thought that my skills and hard work alone would be enough to get me through, that’s how I was raised. I guess I figured the art world was more progressive than it was. The amount of racist and sexist treatment I’ve been on the receiving end of has been shocking. I would have approached the ‘real world’ differently had I known.

Any tips for surviving outside the university bubble? 

Creating a network, especially while you’re at Uni, is important. If you’re like me the word ‘networking’ can seem daunting and a bit confusing but really it’s about finding people who enjoy the same things you do and/or people who think in the same way. So your friends and course mates! They form part of your network. I mean it’s kind of like dating isn’t it? The advice people usually give when you’re looking for someone special is to go to events, exhibitions, or just places that you enjoy and not be afraid to interact with others there. I’ve actually found it easier building a network during lockdown because there’s been a surge in online communities being set up so the awkward dance that happens in person is taken away.

Finding connections is one thing but making those connections work for you is another. Tell people your ideas and share your plans for your career. It might not turn into something immediately but they also have a network and could know someone to help point you in the right direction.

To keep up to date with our posts:

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Post a Comment